Wednesday, September 17, 2008

September Morning




The seasons are changing and everyone on the farm feels it. On this crisp morning the cool air mingles with the heavy dew laden fields creating a place of peace in this time of uncertainty that surrounds us. As I drove Caleb to school this morning my thoughts turned to so many items of interest, but one really stood out. The beauty that we were passing. It was all around and I wondered how many commuters were actually seeing it. The fog laying heavy over the water that just this past Sunday was wreaking havoc on our daily commutes. It was a sight of serenity. The fields of grass looked as if diamonds had blossomed overnight. The golden rays of sun caressing the stalks of corn awaiting their harvest. The sheep bounding briskly in the pasture all fluffy and white creating an image of cotton balls on the run. I put the window down and welcomed the chill, breathed in the crispness of the air and thanked my heavenly Father for this beautiful land that we are blessed to share. There is uncertainty all around us, but we as Americans have the choice to find our certainty. I am grateful for that and do not take my freedom lightly. Sure times might be tough, but truly what is tough? I believe that so many of us have forgotten. I have been reading a book that was written 141 years ago to Caleb this week. You might know it? The Little House in The Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder. By todays standard they had it rough!! But after just one chapter my eight year old son exclaimed the next morning that he sorta wished it was like it was back then... that we didn't have all the technology. We discussed it over breakfast and his reasoning was that people would be closer and not allow the distractions to run their lives. So, after one day of no TV we are deciding to make it a week and log what we do differently and how much fun we have together. For starters we picked apples. He found out he could climb a tree and gently ask the tree with a little limb shake to let go of its amazing fruit. Then he learned that underneath the outside covering of dirt and grime when you give a fast rub on your pants an apples true beauty comes forth in all its brilliance, deep color and shine. He worked on one for over half an hour. "I am going to give this one to my teacher and it is shining like a red ruby." We have also taken a long walk by the light of the Harvest moon laughing and sharing, looking and listening. Embracing this earth and each other is what matters in life.... at least that is what it is for me. Ok. Sure, those of you who know me are fully aware that I am a complicated woman, but deep down I hold onto the truths and the simple things this life has to offer. Have a great day and look for that hidden treasure.

0 comments: