Saturday, November 08, 2008

A Great Loss

Being a photographer requires so much of each of us. The long hours, the joyful praise, the nitpicks, labs that run late, the shipper who does or doesn't show up, the albums that come back the wrong size, the cameras that are temperamental and so much more, but our rewards are so much greater. We are invited to share in people's lives, telling their stories of birth and beginnings, true love, age milestones, and the joy of life itself in all forms. I have always looked at my profession as one of great importance for we as photographers capture people's lives with our vision and they touch ours with their joy and spirit. Tonight I saw first hand that touching of people's lives.

Last Wednesday evening a fellow photographer was taken from this life unexpectedly and the outpouring of those he touched was true and full. As Randy and I waited in the line, I spoke with a young woman who had worked for Bruce, knew his kids when they were little, he photographed her wedding and so many other people that she knew. Photographers do not just take pictures, we touch lives. Bruce did that. It was apparent that many loved and appreciated him for who he was. I met Bruce Cannon several years ago and just last spring had a great conversation about a certain local photography company that neither of us care for and we ended the conversation with, "Let's get together sometime.", and tonight I am so regretting not taking the time in this rat race we know as life to have him and his wife over for dinner. I may not have known him like others but there is this common bond between photographers... we share a gift of seeing things in a different light and we know the trials that we all share. When one of us needs help, we are there to help the other, when one goes down we all feel the loss. I have felt the loss since last Weds. morning when I received the call and it hurts. It just doesn't seem fair. Last Wednesday the photography community lost a special soul who touched so many. My heart is full and my thoughts are with each and every one of his loved ones.

0 comments: