Wednesday, February 04, 2009

Catching up


1984. What do recall about that year? I remember Mrs. Austin and Greek Mythology. Well today I had the privilege to reconnect with an old classmate I had not seen since then. And I got to do it in person! It was so great to see her and we both realized immediately that yes, we have changed. We grew up. After all these years how awesome it is to actually live 25 miles from one another! Kudos to Facebook for being the connecting factor.

I had the wonderful pleasure of meeting her gem of a daughter and sharing so much about our past and present. We each spoke of our childhoods and what we went through those many years ago, along with many other current topics. While sharing with each other I had emotions that began to come to surface that had been forgotten and memories of good and bad times. I clearly remembered feeling so alone at many times and thought I was the only with problems and insecurities. But today I realized that even those that I thought had it all together had issues. It helped put so many things in perspective for me. When you are growing up in this crazy world sometimes you can not see the forest for the trees and you get lost. As a child, your parents, and friends are there to help you, but sometimes as a child you do not know to ask.

We continued to talk and I allowed myself to soak it all in and looked at both of us and how our paths crossed for a time, then they separated to only cross again. I could not have planned this if I would have tried. I do believe God brings people into our lives for reasons we do not even know. So today, we are older with many contrasting stories, but there are still common bonds. The familiarity that we share of having the same home state of NC, our elementary school years and so many memories. They are each gifts and are very much treasured. I loved the fact that we easily fell into sharing, laughing and being open about ourselves. I was given a gift today and I love gifts. Especially ones of friendship.

I am blessed to have another seed planted in Spring's forever growing Wildflower Garden.

0 comments: