Thursday, February 05, 2009

The Dance


January 27, 2009 entry from my personal journal

God has begun this week like a fancy baker. He has taken a wintry form of confectioners sugar and continued to sprinkle the white across the country. As I sit by the window, with Deano' serenading me, the sprinkles spin me into a land I love. One that is mine.

The sheep are warm and woolen and fed. The chickens all poofed in their feathery splendor and huddled on their roosts. The cats are warm and curled in the garage while the three dogs are asleep in their places. My boy? He is tucked snug as a bug in a rug. He is dreaming of snowflakes. How do I know? He told me so. Randy is playing Poker. And I? The fireplace is blazing, the tunes are gently swaying and I am writing.

I love getting lost in the snow swirls. As I stood outside this evening, the cold wrapped around me awakening my senses. Gazing up into the sky the snowflakes danced their way down to me. I closed my eyes and let them tickle my face, leaving their wet, gentle kisses, such a welcome touch. The crunch of the snow under my feet is a welcome sound. My toes want to squish the snow between themselves. They are fooled thinking it will feel like the sand on the shore. Ahhhh, my mind knows better, so I wiggle my toes inside my wool socks and imagine. My eyes open, the flakes are getting larger and swirling in their downward spiral. Faster and faster they fall. I realize they only have one dance in their life and what a dance it is. They are dancing with Old Man Winter. It is beautiful how life is so well orchestrated on occasion. I open my arms and embrace Winter, my polar opposite. We begin to sway and move as one. The steps are light and full of air. The gentle hold he has on me I welcome. I fall into him as we gracefully waltz through the thick night. The geese are moving in the storm and their calls break the heavy silence. We pause for a moment and feel the rush of life above. Then I feel the soft tug and my feet glide along the ever deepening carpet of white. Winter has come and loved me once again. He can be rough and hard, down right bitter, but all he wants is love. Tonight, Winter has been loved by Spring.

0 comments: