Monday, February 02, 2009

Today is about Shadows for Me


We aren't groundhogs but we saw our shadows!!

I love shadows and have since I was a kid. I use to make all kinds of shadows on the walls at night and let my imagination run. Many of you know my imagination still runs... runs wild. However, as I began my entry for today I just know that during those many years of education I probably studied the history of this day, but somehow after giving birth to my wonderful son, my memory is just not what it used to be (another blog entry for a future date). So how did this holiday come about I asked myself?

I went to Wikipedia and found the following:

Groundhog Day is an annual holiday celebrated on February 2nd in the United States and Canada on which if a groundhog emerges from its burrow and fails to see its shadow because the weather is cloudy, winter will soon end. If on the other hand, it is sunny and the groundhog sees its shadow, the groundhog will supposedly retreat into its burrow, and winter will continue for six more weeks. The holiday, which began as a Pennsylvania German custom in southeastern and central Pennsylvania in the 18th and 19th centuries, has its origins in ancient European weather lore, wherein a badger or sacred bear is the prognosticator as opposed to a groundhog. Modern customs of the holiday involve celebrations where early morning festivals are held to watch the groundhog emerging from its burrow. The Pennsylvania German dialect is the only language spoken at the event, and those who speak English pay a penalty, usually in the form of a nickel, dime or quarter, per word spoken, put into a bowl in the center of the table. The largest Groundhog Day celebration is held in Punxsutawney, Pennsylvania, where crowds as high as 40,000 have gathered to celebrate the holiday since at least 1886. Groundhog Day received worldwide attention as a result of the 1993 film of the same name, Groundhog Day, which was set in Punxsutawney and featured Punxsutawney Phil.'

What a fun holiday this is already and now I don't have to speak English for the whole day. I have made up my own version of what I think the Pennsylvania German dialect sounds like. What fun!! You should call me and hear it!! I am certain our groundhog in the front pasture saw his shadow this morning as did I and Caleb and the sheep. So bummer!!! More Winter. But for some of you, Spring is already here or in your hearts. I like to think I am in your hearts anyway. With today being a great day of shadows and furry creatures that are famous I am planning a super fun day for Caleb and after school.

Homework: First and foremost.
Game time: Catch me if you can (and sew me back on)
Snack: Groundhog crackers
Menu for dinner: Shadows and Dumplings and Dark Lurking Brownies for dessert
Nightly entertainment: Shadow Puppets and choice of Groundhog Day or Peter Pan.

Today as you are walking about and sharing your life with all, see the shadows around you that are light and bright and carry much meaning. The ones that are short and fast or lengthy and long, but really look for and see the shadows that are in the dark and hide those who want to be forgotten and should not be. A shadow can be a friend you never knew you had.

This week I would love for you to capture a shadow, whether by digital capture, film, paint, or drawing.... post it with your comment or send to my email. Let the light guide you.... and let us see what becomes.

Happy Shadowing

0 comments: