Saturday, January 31, 2009

Antarctic Diorama : What Drama





What fun this day was. My fantastic son had a class project to do. A Diorama with his choice of habitat. Caleb chose an Arctic habitat. Today was the day I could help and dedicate my time to him and the project. What a job!!!!

It has turned out quite well, but not without lots of hairs out of my head and his. Just kidding. We used tissue paper of all kinds, some plastic animals and made some animals out of salt dough. We recycled packing material and were very creative in the design. I just hope that it does not look so much like his mom helped him. Before bed tonight he did look at it and finished the penguin and smiled. He likes it, but he still wants to make one out of a shoebox.

This weekend has also been full of homemade pizzas and great family movies that make you cry. Last night we watched "Where The Red Fern Grows" and tonight Caleb and I watched a fantastic movie titled "Duma". "Duma" definitely has adventure, imagination and peril, many of which makes you want to hide behind a blanket. I admit that one of us did and I wanted to also but hey! I am mom, hear me roar. The story draws you into the boy's life and the videography is astounding. Someday I will travel to Africa, but with a very long lens. The young boy reminded me of Caleb very much. And I loved learning about the Cheetah and their mannerisms. As for
"Where The Red Fern Grows", this story is one of my favorites from childhood reading. Grab the tissues though. There are scenes in this movie that the lighting is breathtaking grabbing at my heart and making me want to be in the hills back home. Then listening to the baying of the hounds brings back memories of the nights I went coon hunting in the woods of North Carolina with my Blue Tick and the boys. The movie also shows perseverance and hard work, much of which is a lost art these days. Both of these movies are thought provoking and motivating for young boys. If you have not seen them maybe add them to your to do list, whether you be boy or girl.

Well, the day is almost complete, the snow is almost gone, the dishes are done and the animals fed. And now I must be off to bed.

0 comments: