Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Yes, Happy New Year and so much more

Looking at my unsettled future



Happy New Year!!!!

What does that mean to an eight year old boy? It means getting to stay up until after midnight and drink bubbly stuff that I don't really like, but I'm going to drink it anyway cause it is cool. (Sparkling Grape Juice) Some big ball drops and everyone seems so happy and "Look at all that litter!" and people are kissing!!! Yuck!!!" It means I have another day off of school. It means mom has to start her taxes again and papers everywhere. It means . . . . . . counting, counting, counting... 358 more days until Santa comes again. It means New Years Resolutions. Here are Caleb's for 2009...
1. Beat Lego Star Wars the complete saga.
2. Skip the third grade.

Isn't life more fun through the eyes of a child.

So today is Inauguration Day.
The 44th President. History has been made with every man before him being sworn in as an American President. Correct me if I am wrong but doesn't that mean that history is made every four years. I totally understand the significance, but that is what is so great about this great nation... he had the opportunity to do what he desired and the paths of his walk led him there. Each of us has the opportunity. Folks he is a man, just like all the others before him. What matters to me is his foundational beliefs, his love, hope and protection of what our country believes and his ability to fight for it and hold it steadfast and true. I am saddened about the way much of our country is putting so much expectation on one man. He is a man married to a woman. They have faults just like each of us, they are human. I see the Change bumper stickers. Folks, change begins with each and everyone of us. Where has that been forgotten? And now I feel that many of my countrymen are getting lost in the hype and forgetting the foundations. My prayer is that we as Americans rethink our so called progress, be thoughtful and see where it has brought us and how we can move ahead but get back the important things we have lost. With so much at our fingertips my deeply rooted belief is that we have lost more than we will ever know. When I turn the TV on, which is very little these days I cringe at what we as a society call entertainment. I cringe at those who do crime but never pay. I cringe at the realization that children are not taught right from wrong because there is always an exception to a rule. Wait a minute are there still rules? I cringe at how the media controls so much and yet no one seems to control them.

I am hopeful as I have always tried to be before and pray that Americans take this chance to better themselves and not wait or expect someone to do it for them. I do find it enlightening that during the election many got the impression that they would be taken care of once Obama was elected. How will he fulfill that? My guess is he will tell each and everyone of us that it is time for us to step up to the plate and be better people and make better choices. For that is what needs to happen. There will be many shocked faces I am guessing after it all sinks in, but I am hopeful in us. After all, we have the freedom of choice... or at least those that make it out of the womb do.

0 comments: